Business Intel Engineer, Amazon Devices
The Decision, Insights, Actions and Learning (DIAL) org owns supply and demand management, tech and science for Amazon Devices (Echo, FireTV, Fire Tablets, and Kindle). Our optimization services are developed to make optimal decisions that ensure every customer is able to buy the device they prefer, at the time and place they desire, delivered at the lowest possible cost to Amazon. Our large-scale optimization tools and systems are built entirely in-house and are pioneering the space of integration with a global manufacturing and supply network, inventory management, logistics control and PO optimization.
As Business Intel Engineer (BIE) for Optimization services, you will be working on processing and analyzing financial, inventory allocation, and transportation data that flows into the team. You will directly interface with our Customers across Planning, Logistics, Finance, and Product orgs to understand the data requirement, data flow, data limitation and data assumptions. You query the data from the database and use statistical analysis to create analysis and visualization to help our end users to understand the data quality and its impact to the optimization models.
Come build the future with us.
Key job responsibilities
The key responsibilities include analyzing data qualities using statistical methods, visualizing data using Tableau, BI tools or by writing your own scripts in Python, devising methodologies to determine data accuracy and coverage, and working with the dev team to productize the methodologies.
A day in the life
Your day-to-day activities will include data analysis using statistical models, team meetings addressing data impact to the optimization models, group discussions with scientists to advise modeling approaches per the data availability and coverages, and data requirement discussion with customers and stakeholders.
About the team
Amazon’s devices business is continuously increasing in complexity, from the original Kindle to the current portfolio of 50+ devices across 10+ countries. To effectively allocate inventory across customer demand and deliver insights to internal teams you will need to understand customer behavior, interdependencies with other systems, analytical tools, and goals of key stakeholders. You will lead the definition of the long-term strategic vision, creation and execution of the product roadmap, interaction with technical teams, testing with end users, and communication with senior leadership.
• B.S. degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, finance, or a similar quantitative field
• 3+ years work experience in BIE in a big data environment
• Experience in using SQL to analyze data in a database or data warehouse and be able to use a major programming (e.g. Java/C/Python) and/or a scripting language (Perl, Unix shell) to process data for modeling
• Experience working with a wide range of predictive and decision models and data mining techniques, as well as tools for developing such models
• Ability to create usable tools in Tableau or similar program that allows others to fish for themselves.
• Master’s or advanced technical degree with 5+ years of relevant experience in a business intelligence engineering role, including data warehousing and business intelligence tools, techniques and technology, and business analysis.
• Expertise in Statistical Analysis using Python, R, or Matlab
• Experience with BI analytics/reporting/visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, AWS QuickSight, COGNOS, or other third-party tools)
• Experience with AWS solutions such as EC2, DynamoDB, S3, and Redshift
• Experience in data mining, data warehouse solutions, and ETL, and using databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
• Ability to deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills and data presentation skills
• Working knowledge in financial data and supply chain management is a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.